Saturday, June 9, 2012

"All In The Golden Afternoon"

"All In The Golden Afternoon"
"You Can Learn A Lot of Things From The Flowers"



Remember the flowers from Disney’s Alice in Wonderland, folks? I think I found a few who would have made excellent casting candidates for the film! This one would have been perfect although its vocal ability has yet to be confirmed. I guess that’s okay since Alice couldn’t sing that well, either- Click link or video below for a Disney detour:


 

 ALL IN THE GOLDEN AFTERNOON
 
“You can learn a lot of things from the flowers
For especially in the month of June
There's a wealth of happiness and romance
All in the golden afternoon

All in the golden afternoon
The golden afternoon...”




I learned a lot of things from the flowers…and these pics were taken in the month of June. I guess that’s when flowers feel most like teaching, according to Alice.


Our Disney detour will lead us back to beautiful flowers, momentarily. First, we must learn more from the flowers. Those tricky little teachers just taught me more about Alice…the real Alice in Wonderland…

Meet Alice Liddell:




Alice Pleasance Liddell was Charles Dodgson’s favorite girlfriend. She was also his main inspiration for the stories "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass". Dodgson (the real name of Lewis Carroll) told her many stories, and the Wonderland story was one of the tales he invented to amuse her and her sisters. (http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alice1e.html)

Photo: Alice Liddell as a beggar-child, probably late 1850s (source: Lewis Carroll in Wonderland. The life and times of Alice and her creator, Stephanie Lovett Stoffel, 1997, p.1)

Now that we've learned a lot of things from the flowers, we may conclude this educational Disney detour with more pictures that capture their June beauty.


`O Tiger-lily,' said Alice, addressing herself to one that was waving gracefully about in the wind, `I wish you could talk!'

`We can talk,' said the Tiger-lily: `when there's anybody worth talking to."




“That's the reason they're called lessons, because they lesson from day to day.”
-Lewis Carroll  


I am inclined to agree with Lewis Carroll- I have a tendency to forget my lessons. I think this quote is clever and personally applicable to me. However, I hope to always remember what I learn from flowers!



“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
Walt Disney Company

 
curiouser:
Variant of curious
adjective curiouser
  1. eager to learn or know
  2. unnecessarily inquisitive; prying
  3. arousing attention or interest because unusual or strange; odd
  4. Rare highly detailed, as in workmanship; elaborate
  5. Obsolete fastidious



Flowers make me curious…curiouser & curiouser. (I must admit, I was not aware that "curiouser" was a definable word until I took another detour- I’m really starting to believe that flowers really do have some enchanting ability to educate me.)


Effects of the Color Yellow

How yellow affects us mentally and physically

 
“All the flowers
Would have very extra special powers
They would sit and talk to me for hours
When I'm lonely in a world of my own”

(I’d like to retract what I said before about Alice’s vocal ability. This song is music to my ears!) 


“…Remembering her own child life, and the happy Summer days.”


No comments: