Sunday, July 22, 2012

Steel Magnolias & Cheekwood Blooms



I have tons of pictures now since I went a little camera crazy during my visit to Cheekwood this weekend. These are a few favorites, taken of two magnolias that grew beautifully on trees surrounding paved walkways. My mom and I love going to Cheekwood- though this was only my first visit to her garden oasis of relaxation. I can’t help but think of one of our favorite movies when I see these flowers. Steel Magnolias is a film that makes my mom cry every time she watches Sally Field mourn the loss of Shelby, who is played by Julia Roberts. A chick flick to its core, this movie is still a classic for us. It’s about the love shared between a mother and daughter- as this day was for me. My sister would have been spouting movie quotes if she had been with us when we snapped pictures of these blooms, no doubt. Mom’s got an eye for photography, though she often allows her modesty to falsely belittle her exceptional talent. On this day, mom met me, camera in-hand. We ventured through the park, taking picture after picture of every beautiful thing we saw. I feel it’s appropriate that this post be centered on the day we spent together- and a few movie quotes from mom’s all-time favorite film are certainly well suited to commemorate our adventure!



To quote Shelby in Steel Magnolias, “Pink is my signature color.” Yes, indeed- it is mine, too.



The flower is associated with nobility, perseverance, dignity and a love of nature. Magnolias are often used in floral arrangements such as wedding bouquets to represent the purity and dignity of the bride. They are popular in Southern-style weddings because the flower is often identified with the South.



A "steel magnolia" is a popular phrase denoting the strength a Southern woman possesses. This phrase was popularized by the 1989 movie, "Steel Magnolias," in which six Southern women endure various hardships but rise above them. The term refers to the delicate yet strong nature women have.


“l can report that the Sherwood Florist delivery truck...
...stops by her house at least twice a week.”
“He knows l like fresh flowers.” – Steel Magnolias


“I find it amusing. Men are supposed to be made out of steel or something. I just sat there. I just held Shelby’s hand. There was no noise, no tremble, just peace. Oh, God. I realize as a woman how lucky I am. I was there when that wonderful creature drifted into my life and I was there when she drifted out. It was the most precious moment of my life.” – Sally Field, in Steel Magnolias

(Don’t cry mom- it’s just a movie. You can cry when you watch it again for the trillionth time but not here when you’re reading a blog.)

“I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence.” – Dolly Parton, who plays Truvy in Steel Magnolias



Ouiser Boudreaux (she’s my favorite!): 

I do not see plays, because I can nap at home for free. And I don't see movies 'cause they're trash, and they got nothin' but naked people in 'em! And I don't read books, 'cause if they're any good, they're gonna make 'em into a miniseries. 

Steel Magnolias

That quote above sounds just like my mom, when she vents about how 'trashy' movies have become. I'm sure she also thinks there should be more movies made like her #1 film of all time. I must say, I agree.


 


And now, for the scene that'll make you laugh through your tears (Mom, you can cry when you watch this- again. I love you.)....







No comments: