Friday, July 20, 2012

Easy, Healthy, Deliciousness!

TEX MEX ROTINI SALAD-
 SIMPLE SUMMER RECIPE:

Prep time: 10 minutes (I love that.)
Total time: 20 minutes (I can deal with an extra 10 min. for deliciousness.)
Serves: 6 (meaning, we’ll have leftovers)


INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. Whole Wheat Rotini Pasta (go Kroger-ing.)
¼ cup Fresh Lime Juice (mine is lime-less, but you have this option.)
1 Garlic Clove, minced (I opted for garlic powder.)
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
15 oz. can black beans, drained (I was fresh out of beans for mine. L )
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
¾ Green Onion, sliced. (No, thank you for me.)
½ Red Bell Pepper, chopped
2/3 cup thawed frozen corn kernels
1 ½ tsp Chili Powder (I prefer more since I love spice.)
Salt and Black Pepper to taste


DIRECTIONS: (More like ‘advice’ for me, since I didn’t follow these exactly.)

1.     Cook pasta to al dente (a.k.a. ‘done’), according to package directions. (that state to cook at a boil for 9-11 minutes.)
2.     In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
3.     In a large bowl, combine drained pasta with all other ingredients except dressing and toss gently. (I added everything, including dressing…why not?)
4.     Pour dressing over pasta mixture and toss thoroughly. (That’s why I added everything in step 3 already.)
5.     Refrigerate in airtight container for at least 1-4 hours, but preferably overnight. (This part is true- this stuff tastes much better after chilling overnight!)
6.     Serve chilled. Refrigerate any leftovers. (As opposed to feeding leftovers to dogs, perhaps?- They’d love it, too.)

Look for this one when you do your grocery shopping!

YUM!


I don’t normally like whole-wheat pasta, but thought I’d give it a try one day when Josh and I went to Kroger. I had no idea what to do with my healthy box of noodles, when I noticed this recipe on the back of the box. Oh, Kroger…I love you. This is an easy recipe that you’ve got to try- and it’s also good for you. Healthy eating is a bit easier when your dishes are this flavorful! Buy Kroger brand, save money, and add a new recipe to your ‘make-that-all-the-time’ dishes…

No comments: