Saturday, August 25, 2012

Enter Moonlight, Exit Sunlight (stage west)

 

I have a 'thing' for taking pictures of trees and skies. By 'thing', I guess I mean addiction. Sunrises and sunsets are opportune times to get shots that I LOVE. Dusk at Dunailie is most enjoyed when I've got a camera in-hand. I'm not sure what exactly draws my lens towards trees like a magnet, but I'm usually satisfied with the results. Take a walk through my neighborhood as the sun settles in and the moon rises above Nashville. The night has darkened and sounds of the city have quietened. I am alone, yet I am unafraid. A calmness has settled upon me as it has overcome the hectic schedule of an urban neighborhood by wrapping us both in a dark blanket of strange, yet most welcome, comfort.


The sun dims its rays gradually to eloquently relinquish its light-giving responsibility to the moon, who has been stuck with the night's third shift for centuries. Moon doesn't mind her working hours, as she has reasoned that her soft glow is better suited than Sun's, to provide a comforting glow to sleepers and travelers beneath her. As a critically-acclaimed play's scenes smoothly transition in seamless manner, so does the shift-change of Sun and Moon. Both of our play's starring actors must travel frequently to fulfill their occupational light-giving roles. However, Moon relocates with silent grace as she views dimly lit lands that remain undiscovered by Sun. Replacing glaring beams with her soft, gentle glow, Moon bids Sun farewell and guards night 'til day's return.

Street lamp beams flicker, Afterwards, they then die-
 Reliably, the Moon sheds her light 'cross the sky-
Though shrouded by clouds that oft pass through the air,
 Her light shines on through, casting soft, glowing glare. Travelers in passing may express gratitude-
 For a reliable light that the Moon does exude.
For though headlights break, and electricity fails,
There remains a light source that forever prevails.
Look above, weary traveler- 
Set your eyes on both lights!
One shines bleakly on pavement,
 One brightens all of night.

(By: ... me, Regina Hodge. Sometimes, I like to rhyme. I also like the moon. I usually keep all that to myself, friends.) :)


I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day. 
 ~Vincent Van Gogh

Give me my Romeo; and, when I shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
~William Shakespeare

No comments: