Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Kind-hearted, Good Listener With A Camera...


Copyright 2014.  Photo by Regina Hodge. 

My last post was about an interview that I was SUPER excited about, right? 


"Right,"
 say the avid readers of my blog... 
(sarcasm intended, of course...) 

Anyway, it's time for an update.
I don't really have any new or exciting news other than this interview made me 
want the job even more than I already did.

I try to appreciate the learning opportunities of new experiences, regardless of whether they turn out the way I want or not. I want this job but even if I'm not selected to be a photographer by the organization, I sincerely appreciate what I gained from the interview, alone.

Most interviewers begin with the dreaded, "So, tell me about yourself," question.
This time, I was ready with an answer.
Explaining reasons why I wanted the job was easy...

because I REALLY WANT IT.
This realization occurred to me: If you find yourself fumbling around in an interview when you're asked WHY you want the job,
It's probably not the right job for you.
If you find yourself b-s-ing answers,
someone else should get hired and you should think about a career change, friend.

At least, that's what I think. What do I know, though?
I know that there is always something new to be learned.
I don't have all the answers.
I think the ones I gave during this interview were the best ones I could give.
They were honest.

So,
however this opportunity plays out...
I owe it to the interviewer for helping me gain more motivation in pursuit of the job I've always wanted to have, but only recently felt brave enough to take a shot at it. (no pun intended, though most delightful...)


Rain or shine,
Good or bad,
I find that there's something to take from every experience...
my favorite types are the new ones-
those I haven't tried...
YET.

Life is all about taking chances, really.
Pursuing what you want and gathering up the courage to actually take a stab at that lifelong dream...
Well, friends...
that's what REALLY
COUNTS. 

Nearly one week ago, I took a shot at a job I want more than I'd like to ever admit.
There's always that nagging little feeling that happens when one allows hopes to supersede logic.

It's called fear.
Fear of not getting what you want.
Fear of...
FAILING. 

Said it. 
Faced it. 
Now what? 

Now, I don't worry about it

I don't worry what will happen next
nearly as much as I used to...
 (sorry, English-teacher-sis- sentence ends with preposition and I know how you hate all that jazz... :)... 

So, I faced a big fear 
this week.

I had to kind of pump myself up before the interview.

I even had a playlist for the drive there.
You know, because...that's normal. :) 


The lesson learned this week issssss..... 

Whatever it is that you want, 
DO IT. 

Within reason, of course...

I mean, don't go doing mean stuff just because that's what your crazy-meanie-head-self feels like doing...

Just...

DO THE STUFF 

THAT YOU DON'T DO 

BECAUSE IT SCARES YOU. 

                                               DO IT 

BECAUSE 

YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT 

BECAUSE 

YOU'VE BEEN AFRAID 

YOU'D FAIL. 


DO IT 
                                                BECAUSE IF YOU

DON'T DO IT, 

YOU'VE  FAILED ALREADY. 


I bet somebody has said that better than I just did.
So?

Whether it's a job opportunity that I finally got up the nerve to pursue,
or a new place to which I travel...

Doesn't matter.
I'm the restless, free-spirit-type,
according to my sister and those who know me best.

Free spirit
What's that even mean?
Sounds cliche, doesn't it?

I mean, who doesn't like to deem themselves with a carefree title such as that one?

I titled this blog's post, "A Kind-hearted, good-listener With A Camera"....

because - - - - - -

that's what I am

It's also one of the things I remember most from the interview.
I added the camera part, though. I figure that most photographers kinda need one of those, too. :)

A kind-hearted, good listener is hard to find.

- - Someone who actually means every single word they say during an interview...
is rare.

I'm just glad I had the answers this time. I'm glad I was true to myself. I'm glad I took a shot. I'm glad I learned, at long last, how much it is that I want the dream I'd been too scared to pursue...

UNTIL NOW. 


"Photographs are not taken. They are MADE." - Ansel Adams. 












No comments: