Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday in Smyrna, Tennessee - Three Wooden Crosses & A Well-Meant Mockery of Christianity, Altogether. Welcome to The Show.

There are three people in Smyrna, Tennessee, who are standing comfortably on three crosses, which have been mounted atop a hill and faced towards oncoming traffic. You can't miss them.

Now,
I support the rights of all individuals. That said, I believe that the three guys on those cross-displays have every right to stand on their comfortably-crafted wooden cross. I support that they are permitted to make the statement they believe they are making.
I just don't think it's doing as much good as they probably do. That's all...

See,
just because you believe in God, Jesus, Good Friday, The Holy Spirit, your God-given purpose, etc., ...
doesn't make you stand on a platform which has been safely fastened to a wooden cross that your church decided to display like a Christmas tree... only, it's not a Christmas tree..

You're not being crucified.
I find that insulting. - -
Not the part about you not dying, mind you. I'm not heartless...

I resent the audacity and ignorance you choose to manipulate your reasoning into "I'm witnessing"...
No you're not.

Knocking on doors is witnessing.
Standing on a cross...
is...
...
Well,

I guess God should probably tell you.

Not me.

I'm not perfect.
(Insert spec in your eye-scripture here...)

But, I don't stand on crosses and trick myself into a brainwashed theory... I realize there are better things that can REALLY MATTER TO PEOPLE...
Me standing on a cross isn't going to change anyone's mind...

How do I know?

Well, ...
Chances are,
they are aware of whom you are imitating.... Jesus.
Those drivers who are staring at you like you're insane are doing that -
not because they are all "unsaved sinners"...
It's because they can't believe that YOU think you're going to help somebody more than Jesus did.
You look...
too,
comfortable.
Jesus was nailed to a cross.
Lots of people didn't care about that when he sacrificed himself.
Why should we care about you standing on that make-shift borderline-blasphemy-looking-what-the-he.....-are-they-doing-... cross?

Because,
We think more?

Nah,
We just wouldn't do it.
You enjoy it.
The attention you are receiving is well-earned...
or...,
IS IT?


You have the right to make the sad effort you're making that probably defeats any good you may have otherwise spread by...

-going to volunteer at a shelter,
-giving the guy holding that sign some of your Sunday money. (He's standing less than 1/2 mile from your cross, you know...)
- Using the wood you used to make your mockery-cross as housing materials for those in need.
OR NOT JUST STANDING ON THAT CROSS LIKE SOME SORT OF IDIOT WHO EQUATES HIS EXISTENCE, SIGNIFICANCE, OR IMPORTANCE with 
JESUS. 

"SINNERS" 
don't think you're witnessing. 
They've likely heard of Jesus. 
You aren't likely to change their mind 
by 
standing
on
that
gaudy
attempt
at
a
GOOD FRIDAY
SHOW. 




But, you probably shouldn't do any of the other things I mentioned
that might make a more positive..., you know...
 impact.

Probably should stick with that safely built cross-thing you've got goin' on.

Also, keep racking your brain about why people get the impressions that most Christians are crazy or hypocritical. I'm sure it'll come to you if you stand there long enough.

-

No comments: