Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Somewhere Over The Rainbow


I would have LOVED to use a different camera to capture yesterday’s monstrously huge rainbow. A storm hit Nashville that concluded with gorgeous skies and rainbows that broke records. By records, I mean my own personal record of lifetime rainbow sightings that leave me awestruck. Unprepared for a such a glorious sight, I hurriedly snatched my husband’s phone and ran out of the house, in hopes that the parting clouds would reveal a rainbow. Barefoot and wearing a too-short sundress, I stood in our driveway and snapped away. Forgetting that my attire is only worn indoors for a reason, I squatted and bended to create different angles of everything I saw. (Luckily, no neighbors were in sight for a free show of my granny panties.) I wish my phone had been charged for these shots. I wish I could find the power cord to charge my indestructible Stylus Camera. I wish I had my mom’s incredible camera to zoom and edit effects. I had no time for regrets in camera selection yesterday, for rainbows are flighty. Much like Dorothy, they blow away with the wind, in mere seconds. So I decided to “let troubles melt like lemon drops” and take some pictures of somewhere, over the rainbow...













I’m convinced that heaven is located directly above this particular tree, in case you’ve been wondering.


The tin man wanted a heart,
The lion wanted courage,
The scarecrow wanted a brain,
And I wanted (still want) a better camera!



This makes me think of a secret garden. The light of yesterday’s sunset cast a mysteriously captivating glow on our backyard.







I was reminded of the cross when I noticed that the center of the enormous rainbow hovered directly above this streetlamp. Though my religious views have evolved over the course of my adult years and I often question organized religion, I still felt surrounded with spiritual blessings yesterday.



Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?



No comments: